Source: Intelligent Instructor
From the DVSA:
Tackling the increase in wasted driving test appointments
To help reduce the number of driving tests wasted, DVSA is urging learner driver to follow 10 top tips to make sure their test goes ahead.
This is alongside the recently launched text message reminder service that reminds candidates they have a test coming up and how to change it if they don’t feel ready.
Why more tests are being wasted
The number of car driving tests being wasted due to learner drivers not turning up has more than doubled compared to before the pandemic – this means that every day 1 in 21 learner drivers do not turn up for their driving test.
DVSA research found that 25% of those who did not turn up used a third-party app to book their test. The second biggest reason for not showing up to a test was that a driving instructor was unavailable (13%) and 11% said they forgot the date or time of their booking.
Sharing the 10 top tips with your pupils
The list of tips for you to share with your pupils have been created to help tackle the top three reasons test are wasted.
- Make sure you or your driving instructor includes your mobile number in your booking, as you will get free reminder texts
- Check your instructor is available before booking your test
- Bring your provisional driving licence, we cannot tell who you are or what provisional entitlement you have without it.
- Arrive on time, examiners have a tight schedule, you will miss your test if you are late
- Book only through your instructor, or the official online booking service
- Don’t book through third-parties such as an app or an online seller, there is a risk you will not receive important information such as changes to your test
- Make sure you have an instructor or have access to a car well in advance of your test date, without a car, a driving test cannot go ahead
- If you take your own car check on GOV.UK it can be used on a driving test and make sure you bring an additional mirror and ‘L’ plates www.gov.uk/driving-test/using-your-own-car
- Make sure the car is taxed, MOT’d and insured, if the car is not, your test won’t go ahead
- If you or your instructor thinks you’re not ready to take your test, you should rearrange it and allow someone else to use it. You can change your test date on GOV.UK .