Update on theory test certificates
The government has considered the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on the validity period of theory test certificates.
After careful consideration, the government has decided not to extend theory test certificates due to the impact on road safety.
We understand that this will be disappointing for some of your pupils. But it’s essential that your pupils have the most up to date road safety knowledge and hazard perception skills to help prepare them for their test and driving safely on their own once they’ve passed.
If your pupils certificate has expired
We cannot reschedule your pupils driving test that was put on hold due to the coronavirus pandemic because their theory test certificate has expired.
- We will cancel their driving test booking.
- They’ll get a full refund for their driving test within the next 7 working days. It will be refunded to the card that was used to pay for the test. They do not need to do anything to get the refund.
- They will need to book and pass a theory test. You can do this at https://www.gov.uk/book-theory-test.
- Revise and practise for their theory test. Check what books and software you can use at https://www.gov.uk/theory-test/revision-and-practice.
- They need to book and pass a driving test. They must do this within 2 years of passing their next theory test.
Your pupil can book a new theory test up to 6 months before your current theory test certificate expires, or at any time after it’s expired.
If your pupils certificate is due to expire
We will email your pupils in the coming weeks to invite them to arrange a driving test. However, we cannot guarantee that they’ll be able to take their driving test before their theory test certificate expires.
If their theory test certificate expires before they can take a driving test, they will need to follow the above steps.
If they want to cancel their driving test now
They can cancel their driving test now and get a full refund. To do this, email email@example.com.
Make sure they include their name and 2 of the following in their email:
- their driving licence number
- their theory test pass certificate number
- their driving test booking reference